View Full Version : Record keeping organizations??

Joe Hulburt
06-10-2011, 12:24 AM
How do you all feel about big game record books? It seems like everybody has a different opinion on what is right for them and which ones they support.

I have always supported the Pope & Young Club and the Boone & Crockett Club because I feel they do a lot to support hunting in general and they are more about honoring the animals than the hunters. I almost feel it's my obligation to enter an animal I harvest that will meet the minimum.

On the other hand I have never been able to get on board with the "state books" we have out West here that are run as private businesses for profit by a few people. Northwest Big Game Inc. comes to mind. I like the idea of a statewide book but I can't get around the fact that it is all about money. I don't know many people that enter animals in these books and they do not honor animals already submitted to the recognized organizations which to me really degrades the credibility of the Oregon Book etc...

What do you all think about it?

Colorado Cowboy
06-10-2011, 07:51 AM
Other than B & C and P & Y the rest are meaningless to me.

06-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Agreed. Other than B+C and P+Y the rest are meaningless. SCI is worse than meaningless, it knowingly promotes canned hunting and "buying" trophies.

Colorado Cowboy
06-10-2011, 03:59 PM
SCI is worse than meaningless

Was a member of SCI a long time ago.....learned a lot that is best forgotten!

06-11-2011, 07:12 AM
Here in Nebraska, the game and parks have a state book that is free. If you shoot a qualifying animal, and official scorer from one of the game and parks headquarters who is qualified will score it for free and then you will be put in a book kind of like the P & Y and B&C and you will get a certificate. they go by the B&C rules but they don't have to be as big. Kinda nice to see where your trophy stands in the state. But as for the other ones you guys are talking about, I don't think I would waste my time with them.

Bitterroot Bulls
06-11-2011, 10:11 AM
MT has a similar state record keeping system. If a P&Y or B&C scorer scores your animal, but it doesn't make their book, you just send the score sheet to MT FWP and they file the entry. The results are on the MT FWP website. There are no state fees. I really like the system.

SCI? I don't think so.

Joe Hulburt
06-11-2011, 09:51 PM
I would love it if the state had a book to recognize animals killed in state that was free of charge and not a means to put money in somebody else's wallet. I might just have to suggest that here.