PDA

View Full Version : Permit draw system question-6 chances or 1 chance

robak
11-27-2017, 12:02 AM
So I got my license this year to put in for the draws. I put in all six of my chances on the same hunt (sheep) in the 6th option. My question is are all six of my chances counted separately or does it count as one chance? I didnt push the send button BTW

gonhunting247
11-27-2017, 07:52 AM
It's my understanding that it is 6 chances , but I've never had that confirmed. Maybe someone will confirm it. Glad you asked this question. Good luck in the draw.

LCH
11-27-2017, 08:51 AM
I have heard the same as above.

I do not understand the draw odds though.. I put in for a hunt with 30% odds according to the draw supplement. However, with 6 chances it would seem like odds are pretty good of drawing. I'm not sure if 30% odds mean 30% of applicants drew, or 30% of all applications were drawn.

AKaviator
11-27-2017, 10:23 PM
Being able to put in for 6 chances for the same species or hunt is fairly new.

My understanding is that you have 6 chances at being drawn, if you put all 6 on the same hunt. The draw odds may go down overall on the more popular hunts since many applicants will use all 6 of their chances on a specific hunt, putting more applications in for the same amount of tags available. That's pretty much how I do it. I put 3 chances in on a specific bull moose hunt because 3 is all that's allowed for them. I put 6 on the sheep hunt I'd like to draw, as a first choice.

You may not want to follow my lead though...I rarely draw what I apply for.

Give a quick call to the Anchorage Fish and Game office to clarify any questions. Those guys are generally very helpful.

alaska2go
12-03-2017, 02:51 PM
Its not correct to say they are no longer valid, but they are more complicated. Take the following scenario. There are 500 names in the hat, and you have 6 of them. Your chances are legitimately 1.2% when the draw starts. Assume the first name out of the hat has put in 6 tries as well. You now have 6 out of 494, or 1.21%.

It certainly was more straight forward when 1 person had only one chance, but the math doesn't change. Put in multiple chances to increase your odds, as not every person in the hat has put in multiple times.

robak
12-05-2017, 01:33 AM
So I called f&g in Anchorage. He said it doesn’t matter how you input them. They all go into the same pool. So you really can’t have a strategy to increase your drawing odds. I think it skews the actual drawing odds by doing it this way. Oh well. Put in 6xs for same sheep hunt, same with bull moose.