PDA

View Full Version : Arrowhead Outfitters

FitToHunt
08-08-2016, 04:15 PM
Has anyone used them for a fly-in DIY moose or Caribou hunt before? Looking at them for 2017. Leaning towards Caribou, but might go moose depending on $$$.

Thanks All

Retterath
08-08-2016, 06:17 PM
i have heard of them. Good and bad. Google sportsmans warehouse with arrowhead outfitters there is a good review on there. I talked to howard when i was thinking of going back up there. The first time i went i didn't do my research and booked right away and regretted it. After all my research i will be going with Brooks range aviation or 40 mile air. 40 mile air usually fills up first with all repeat customers first. Good luck any more questions fire away.

FitToHunt
08-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Yes, I have looked into 40 mile and spoken with them several times. I'm pretty sure I'd go with them if I could get one of there Ridge Top Moose hunts, but sounds like they all usually go to repeat customers. I guess the main reason for preferring Arrowhead over 40 mile for caribou, is that, they hunt in an area that allows 2 bulls instead of 1... More bang for your buck so to speak.

Either way, I'm planning on 2017. So still a bunch of research to go. Right now it looks as though I'll be solo, so a caribou hunt may be my only real option.

Retterath
08-09-2016, 02:35 PM
Do your research and you will have a great hunt. Good luck. Its an amazing experience

FitToHunt
08-18-2016, 07:17 PM
What do you guys from AK or guys with lots of experience up there, recommend for a sidearm? I know a .44 mag is a pretty common "go to"... Anyone like a .460, or even a .500 S&W? I like the idea of the .460 because I read you can shoot Colt 45's out of it, which will be a much cheaper way to go plinkin' and get some good reps in with it...

I asked the outfitter which he preferred between Bear Spray and a high Cal pistol, and he said the pistol.

Colorado Cowboy
08-18-2016, 08:27 PM
I asked the outfitter which he preferred between Bear Spray and a high Cal pistol, and he said the pistol.

I'd go with both.

JimP
08-18-2016, 09:50 PM
If you don't have a large caliber handgun and have the time to practice with it to become proficient with it I would opt for the bear spray. All you are going to do if you hit a bear in the wrong place is piss him off.

Slugz
08-18-2016, 10:02 PM
FTH,
Both, both, both sir. Only people that are good at stopping legit bears with side arms are guys that do it and get charged a few times a year.

FitToHunt
08-18-2016, 10:43 PM
If you don't have a large caliber handgun and have the time to practice with it to become proficient with it I would opt for the bear spray. All you are going to do if you hit a bear in the wrong place is piss him off.

Ive heard this many times, but is it really true? Or, just something everyone likes to say? I honestly have no idea. Has anyone actually heard, first hand, of someone putting several rounds into a grizz from a .44 and it still coming after them?

ivorytip
08-18-2016, 10:59 PM
Ive heard this many times, but is it really true? Or, just something everyone likes to say? I honestly have no idea. Has anyone actually heard, first hand, of someone putting several rounds into a grizz from a .44 and it still coming after them?

I too am interested in this, bear protection.

JimP
08-19-2016, 08:42 AM
I have heard of bears taking several shots with 300 magnums and are still up and willing to do battle.

If I was in Alaska and fishing without a high power rifle my weapon of choice would be the spray and perhaps a 12gs pump shotgun loaded with slugs second.

On the bear spray there have been studies done with it that show just how effective it is at close range at turning a charging bear. There are also a lot out there that don't believe them and think that the only way to stop a charge is to kill the bear.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf

Colorado Cowboy
08-19-2016, 08:45 AM
If I was in Alaska and fishing without a high power rifle my weapon of choice would be the spray and perhaps a 12gs pump shotgun loaded with slugs second.

I'll second that.

alaska2go
08-21-2016, 11:31 AM
my response in "back country sidearm" thread..
A side note: If you are hunting on the north slope of the brooks range the grizzlies are much smaller than coastal bears. ANNNND they are more aggressive & protective of their dinner, whether it is yours that you shot or not !

Revolver,, 44 mag, minimum bullet weight 270 gr, hard cast preferred, I use speer 270 GDSP, has killed 1 bear at full charge w/ shot to the center of chest. The bullet passed through and broke his spine @ about 30 feet. He stopped and ran the other way dragging his left hind leg for 40 yards or so, then died. Not what I was expecting. If you surprise a grizz @ close range I don't believe there is much a guy can do, but try to survive. I have had some close encounters with grizzlies but usually knowing they are in my zone for several minutes. To surprise one, well I have not done that yet. They have power beyond comprehension !!!! I have a S&W performance w/ 6" barrel. I would like to have the ultra light on back pack hunts. Practice, practice, and do some more practice.

hoshour
08-21-2016, 12:42 PM
A bear can keep charging before it expires from a lethal shot. Almost never do they drop in their tracks when shot, even multiple times. On the other hand when a bear can't breathe and can't see for the painful super-concentrated mace in his face, he will almost always turn to get away from he ran into it. Spray is much more effective short term, bullets are more effective long term

mntnguide
08-21-2016, 02:28 PM
Friend of mine emptied a 45-70 into a charging grizzly. ..all shots were lethal hits they would later find out. ..she still made 3 different charges after she was basically "walking dead"...I should add, that he used a full can of spray before using the 45-70...they are an incredibly powerful animal, and if they are truly trying to get to you. .I'd prefer having my pistol.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

hunter25
09-08-2016, 08:00 PM
I'm booked with arrowhead for August 2017. Should have done more research but I booked through Cabela's and trusted them. All of the bad reviews I've read were from early on in their operation. Hoping for the best.

Wish I'd booked a little later also but again took the advice of the Cabela's rep. First trip to Alaska and counted on their advice.

hunter25
08-21-2017, 05:21 PM
Just got back from my hunt with
Arrowhead. Empty handed although we did see a few.
A great experience overall but fur many reasons would not use them again.
It'll take a couple years before we can go back but will do a lot more research this time.
For reference we were told that during the first 2 weeks of season 38 hunters had only taken out 4 animals.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

AKaviator
08-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Sorry to hear that you didn't score.

I'm curious if you went east or west from the haul road. It seems that the best hunting has been to the east over the last few years but this year I heard that they were a good distance to the west! Land ownership is trickier to the west. I'm not hunting them this year.

Caribou can be hard to figure sometimes!

hunter25
08-22-2017, 06:00 AM
To the east.
No Caribou were seen from the plane traveling in or out.

480/277
08-26-2017, 08:51 PM
Sorry to hear that. It sucks to invest so much ,and not just money, and be disappointed. I have been on 5 caribou hunts and never once did I "hit the migration " right. Where you see multiple thousands . But I have always seen bou and my wife and I have killed a few nice ones .
DON'T GIVE UP!
A good bou hunt will stay with you til you die. And Alaska is my FAVORITE place to hunt.
Don't over look DIY bou hunts. I did one guided with the wife and DIY for all the rest.
Some of my favorite memories.

hunter25
09-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear that. It sucks to invest so much ,and not just money, and be disappointed. I have been on 5 caribou hunts and never once did I "hit the migration " right. Where you see multiple thousands . But I have always seen bou and my wife and I have killed a few nice ones .
DON'T GIVE UP!
A good bou hunt will stay with you til you die. And Alaska is my FAVORITE place to hunt.
Don't over look DIY bou hunts. I did one guided with the wife and DIY for all the rest.
Some of my favorite memories.Hopefully will be able to plan again for next year if everything works out.
Just a little differently