View Full Version : Devastated! Need answers.

09-30-2011, 11:56 AM
So after hunting every day of the MT archery season I finally had an opportunity at a 350+ bull on Sept. 17th, and blew it. After spotting some bulls bedded down in a small patch of timber, my buddy and I made a move on them. After stalking to within a 100 yards I sent him ahead of me, and I began to cow call. Immediatly a bull started to bugle, and after about 20 minutes the elk slowly moved off. My friend decided to follow the elk through the timber so I hiked to the top of the hill, where the timber quit, and just waited. After a while I heard a bull bugling on the opposite side of the timber that we had originally saw the bulls. I worked my way over towards him, and found myself with 80 yards of this bull. The only problem was that there was a couley in between us. When he disappeared over the ridge he was on, I set up my Elk Mountain Inc. decoy in the wide open and ran down the couley and made it half way up the other side. All the sudden there he was at 42.5 yards, broadside, and staring right over the top of me at the decoy. After ranging him, I drew my bow, got a solid anchor and shot right over the top of his back. The bull did a 180 spin and stopped, broadside, facing the other direction and still staring a hole through the decoy. I ranged the bull again and he was now 40 yards. Once again I drew my bow, got a solid anchor and again shot right over his back. I couldn't believe what was happening, and couldn't believe that I had just missed this bull two times. If that was not enough, the bull didn't even take a step after the second shot. So I once again ranged the bull and he was still 40 yards on the money. This time I decided to put my 40 yard pin on his brisket, and when I squeezed off the shot, wouldn't you know it, I hit him right in the brisket. I have no idea how my first two shots sailed high, and the third shot was dead on. I left the bull overnight, and found blood about 400 yards from where I shot him, and followed a minimal blood trail for another 400 yards. The bull never stopped or ever seemed to have slowed down. I shot my bow the next morning, and it was dead on at 40 yards. How is this possible? I shoot my bow religiously and am at a loss of words to explain what happened. Anyone ever had something like this happen to them?