View Full Version : Montana Block management areas question

Jon Boy
08-19-2011, 03:49 PM
I find myself over looking smaller block management areas with 500 or 600 acres. So I started thinking and I was wondering if alot of people dont bother with the smaller areas and instead go to the larger ranches with a few thousand acres? Im trying to avoid the crowds as much as possible so I dont know if it would be better to look for smaller areas or or just getting way back in the larger areas. What have you guys noticed when hunting Block Management areas in Montana?

MT Muley
08-19-2011, 03:54 PM
I would definitely recommend checking them out! Especially if hunters are not allowed to drive all over it.

Jon Boy
08-19-2011, 04:11 PM
That was going to be next question, are the areas that are walk in only significantly less crowded?

Bitterroot Bulls
08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
I have found good to great hunting on walk-in block management areas. The walk-in areas I tried weren't crowded at all. Most people walk in only after they see something from the road.

Jon Boy
08-19-2011, 07:06 PM
Thats what I was hoping for If i get in a few miles before light I should be into some animals. Having to call before and get a permission slip seems like a hassle though with the type 2 areas especially if its a few hours away.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-19-2011, 07:12 PM
The reservation style type 2s are pretty handy to plan around. Some of them are VERY limited in the number of people allowed access. It is first-call, first-served.

Jon Boy
08-19-2011, 07:21 PM
The way I read it is you have to call in advance and then pick up a permission slip the night before at a designated time. Is this right? Its just a pain if you live a few hours away from the area and have to drive out the night before, go back to your house, and then leave again in the morning. Thats around 8 hours of driving if its 2 hours away.

Bitterroot Bulls
08-19-2011, 07:47 PM

Some are like that. Others will give you permission for a few days. Some accept reservations in advance for limited spots. Some are administered by a FWP employee. Contact FWP in the region you want to hunt, and have them send you the BMA literature for the region. In the past, they had Region pamphlets that had the BMAs listed with specific contact instructions for each BMA.

Jon Boy
08-19-2011, 08:04 PM
thanks for the help. Im still trying to figure how everything works here in montana lol