View Full Version : Elk Hunting In Unit 704 (Custer National Park)

07-29-2011, 08:13 AM
I was wondering if Unit 704 is a general Elk tag, or is it a special draw tag? If it is a special draw tag, how many points does it typically take to draw? I am mainly wondering what to expect as far as hunting pressure, numbers of animals, quality of animals, and general knowledge about Custer National Park in unit 704. The reason that I inquire about this unit, is that I plan on huning the Big Horns in Wyoming over the next few years, and would like to find an area in Montana to hunt in the off years that I don't draw tags for Wyoming. I greatly appreciate any info.



07-29-2011, 11:44 AM
If you wanted to come up with the most convuluted and complicated draw system, you would look no further than Montana. 704 is a special draw unit and also includes unit's 702 and 705. To get a tag there, you MUST first draw either an elk tag or a deer/elk combo tag. Then, after you get your tag, you can apply for the limited entry unit's. According to the MRS, your draw odds for 704 as a nonresident for 2010 was 58%. This year the odds might have been better since they jacked up the tag fees, not sure though. So to get a shot at a 704 tag, you must fork out $812 for the elk tag, or else $912 for the combo tag. Then after you have spent almost $1,000, you get the privelage of having your name in the drawing. If you don't get that limited draw tag, then you are stuck with your general tag to hunt during the general season. Then the following year, you will have 1 bonus point for the limited draw.
And for next year, I believe that Montana is going to go to a partial bonus point system where you can buy a bonus point for ONLY the general draw tag's. They didn't even sell all the tags this year though, so I'm not sure why you would buy a point. For the limited draw though, I believe that they will keep the same system and you cannot buy a bonus point. Basically, Montana is not a state where you can build points and go hunt there in 5 years. You must draw your tag and then apply for limited entry area's. If you don't get your limited entry area, you need to have a plan for where you are going to hunt in the general season.
As far as access, animals, etc., I'm not sure. Hopefully somebody else has that info.

Bitterroot Bulls
07-29-2011, 04:31 PM
That is a tough unit to hunt. It is the Custer National Forest, not a National Park, thankfully, so the public can hunt there. The elk concentrations are on private land. There are elk on the CNF, but they are few and far between. I think the Absarokas would be a better option, as there are more elk, and it is a general area. Oh yeah, and it is huge country.

04-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Sounds like someone needs to stay in ND.

Tim McCoy
04-19-2016, 06:15 PM
ND, not sure how it works now, but there was a time, very recently and probably still today, one could get a 80% refund before 8/1, a 50% after, if the tag was unused, all before the season opener. Forget the exact details. Not all gloom and doom. Have used the combo deer elk tag option, with the hardest elk unit in the state as a special permit, and then checked the refund elk tag part if you don't draw the special elk permit, to hunt deer. Not had to do that recently with the easy deer draw. Last I checked you could buy a point too.

Want to talk about a state where it is stacked against you? Last I checked, 5-6 years ago, ND was on that short list for mulies... To each their own.